Thursday, October 6, 2011

Angels in Adoption

Last night – I went to a beautiful gala for the organization Angels in Adoption. After work, a co-worker of mine and I headed over to the Ronald Reagan Building for the event. Never been an advocate for adoption really in my life, but after hearing the moving stories of foster children being loved and adopted by relative strangers, it made me think differently of the process.

These are just regular people – dealing with infertility issues or regular people sensing that their care is needed in a child’s life - and that's incredible.

Snapshot of the Gala

The Wednesday’s Child Program described it really well when they told a story of a lady watching the program in DC –who looked at a child on the TV screen and stated, “That’s my child!” – an instant connection was recognized. 


We sat at a table with some people from Buckner International – which is also another great group of people. They do the program – Shoes for Orphan Souls – which I am absolutely in love with. (They are actually hosting their first barefoot run this year in Coppell, Texas!)

Beautiful Place Setting

It surprised me; but - Laura Ingraham was the MC for the night. Typically, just a conservative commentator, she set aside her advocating of the right and simply talked about what it means to be an adoptive parent. She has adopted three kids of her own – all from Guatemala. 


Overall, thought it was a great experience. I will never look at adoption the same again. I truly believe that God places a special love in certain hearts – to look after those born in to this work without a loving, supporting home. And, he equips them with everything they need to be that rooftop and house of love for ‘the least of these.’ 

Makes me think of this song by Third Day - "Children of God:"



No comments:

Post a Comment